Work already underway in Cheltenham, with first ‘live customer’ expected in summer 2021.
- Light Source will support Netomnia to rapidly build a new full-fibre broadband network to thousands of homes and businesses in the UK, with speeds of up to 10Gbps.
- New partnership is key to Netomnia’s mission to reach 1m UK premises with full-fibre by 2024.
- Cheltenham is the first town to benefit from the new partnership, with advanced construction work already underway as part of a £28m investment, and several other towns soon to follow.
- Netomnia’s investment will futureproof online connectivity and meet the bandwidth requirements of homes and businesses for decades to come.
- Netomnia is already live across three towns and cities in the UK, with more planned to start during 2021.
Netomnia, the full-fibre network builder and operator, announced today that it has partnered with Light Source, one of the UK’s leading telecoms infrastructure partners, to build a full-fibre network that will play a vital role in supporting their mission to reach 1m UK premises by 2024. Founded in 2019 by Jeremy Chelot (ex-CEO of Community Fibre) and joined in 2020 by Wil Wadsworth (ex-FD of Gigaclear), Netomnia is making a multi-million pound investment to build a high-quality, future-proofed, open full-fibre network across the UK using Openreach’s Physical Infrastructure Access. Services are currently available across three UK towns and cities (Durham, Peterlee and Spennymoor) with many more planned.
Netomnia and Nottingham-based telecoms infrastructure partner Light Source are already engaged in advanced construction work in Cheltenham as part of a £28m investment. Several other towns are also due to receive symmetrical (equal upload and download speeds) internet services up to 10 Gbps (10,000 Mbps) using XGS-PON technology. The long-term agreement will enable Netomnia to deliver full-fibre broadband, connecting even more towns and cities in the UK to a 21st Century communications network.
Netomnia’s investment in full-fibre networks will futureproof online connectivity and meet bandwidth requirements of homes and businesses for decades to come. Our open full fibre network uses fibre-optic cables to deliver broadband services direct to homes and businesses, providing faster and more reliable speeds than copper-based networks developed in the last century, with the same download and upload speeds, providing a network that is future-ready. A full list of Netomnia’s wholesale partners can be found at www.netomnia.com.
Wil Wadsworth, Netomnia CFO, said: ”We are delighted to be partnering with the talented team at Light Source, who are just as passionate as we are about building mission-critical digital infrastructure the UK so desparately needs. Full fibre is vital to the development of the UK economy, and recent times have proven the crucial role that good, reliable connectivity plays in enabling communities and businesses to thrive.”
Steven Hill, Light Source Managing Director, said: “My team and I are delighted to have secured this exciting new partnership to deliver a future-ready, full-fibre network for Cheltenham. With demand so high at the moment, it is key to me that our organisation selects partners with similar principles, and from our very early conversations with the team at Netomnia, it was quite clear to me that we have parallel ambition, values and culture.”